Q&A: I got married in Spain - can I divorce here or do I have to go back to Spain?

Q.  I am Spanish and I married an English man 10 years ago in Lincolnshire. Unfortunately our marriage has ended and I want to apply for a divorce. Can I do this in England or do I have to do this is Spain where I am a national?

A. You can apply in England for a divorce in relation to any marriage even if the ceremony did not take place in England or Wales should you wish to do this. One of the criteria which must be met is for you to show that the Court has jurisdiction (the power) to deal with the matter. In the Divorce Petition you will need to confirm which statement applies to your situation to confirm how the Court has jurisdiction.

If you require any assistance in completing the Divorce Petition then we currently offer a "Support and Advice" service where we can assist you complete the Divorce Petition should you wish. Please contact our office for further details.

Katherine Brown,  Chartered Legal Executive

This article was previously published in the Stamford Mercury.