Coronavirus Update | Our offices are open for essential pre-arranged appointments only, however staff are available via phone, email and video call.  Please contact the person acting for you via email.  If you are unsure of their email address, please click here for contact details. For new enquiries please fill out an enquiry form on our website, email or call 01733 346333 | Read More

Client area and payments Make an enquiry
Court of Protection Lasting Powers of Attorney

My Aunt has lost the mental capacity to deal with her finances – can I put in place a power of attorney for her?

As you have stated that your aunt cannot deal with her finances then she may not, therefore, have the capacity to give instructions for the creation of a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) to appoint you as her representative.

You are unable to create the document on her behalf; an LPA is a legal document which must be created by your aunt to appoint another to make decisions on her behalf, either under her direction or by the attorney she appoints.

If it is established that she does not have the knowledge or understanding to create an LPA, then an application would need to be made to the Court of Protection for a judge to decide whether you can be appointed as a Deputy to manage her finances.

Court of Protection applications can be complex and can take some time, so it is important to seek specialist legal advice as early as possible to make sure that any application goes through as quickly and smoothly as possible.

To speak to Emma Carter about any aspect of Trusts and Probate Law call 01733 295608 or email

Do you want find out more?

Make an enquiry online Contact the Peterborough office Contact the Stamford office Contact the Oakham office