Client area and payments Make an enquiry
Debt and Insolvency

Winding up petition

Q. I am the owner of a company and I have been threatened by a creditor that it is going to issue a winding up petition. What can I do? I dispute that I owe this company any money.

A. It is important that you seek legal advice straight away. If a winding up petition is issued this will have a drastic effect on the business and it is likely that your bank will freeze your company's bank account. This will mean that unless you get a Court Order to allow the you to operate the account no payments will be made out of the account.. If there is a genuine dispute then there is a possibility of obtaining an injunction preventing the issue of a winding up petition. The courts will not take kindly to someone threatening to issuing a winding up petition where there is a dispute.

Kally Singh, partner and head of Insolvency

*This article was previously printed in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph

Do you want find out more?

Make an enquiry online Contact the Peterborough office Contact the Stamford office Contact the Oakham office Contact the Market Deeping Office