Our Costs for Employment Tribunal Proceedings
Many Employment Tribunal cases settle and do not result in a Hearing. However if a case should result in an Employment Tribunal Hearing, our experienced employment law team can represent you.
Average cost of a one day Employment Tribunal hearing: £2000 – £5000 +VAT
This includes advising on and preparing the case as well as representation. Hearings that are more complex and last longer than one day will incur further costs.
Factors that could potentially make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend Claims or Responses or to provide further information about an existing Claim or Response
- Defending Claims that are brought by litigants in person
- Making or defending a costs application
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled or the Claim has been presented out of time
- The number of witnesses and documents
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into Early Conciliation with ACAS, to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing a Claim or Response
- Reviewing and advising on a Claim or Response
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement terms throughout the process
- Preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- Preparing bundles of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements
- Agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Hearing, including, where appropriate, instructions to Counsel
The stages set out above are an indication only. If some of stages above are not required, the fee may be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged subject to your own individual needs.
How long will my matter take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during Early Conciliation, your case is likely to take 4 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take 6 – 12 months. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
For an individual quote or an informal no obligation conversation about your situation please contact a member of the Employment Law team on 01733 295607 or email us.