Coronavirus Update | Our offices are open for essential pre-arranged appointments only, however staff are available via phone, email and video call.  Please contact the person acting for you via email.  If you are unsure of their email address, please click here for contact details. For new enquiries please fill out an enquiry form on our website, email or call 01733 346333 | Read More

Client area and payments Make an enquiry

Early advice to prevent a “revenge eviction” from a Care Home

One of the biggest worries for people is that in the future they may have to have care, either in their home or they may have to enter some form of supported living or care home.  At this point, in time when this decision has to be made, it can be a time of worry, distress and confusion.

Advice can be obtained from social services, charities or care homes.  However, we always recommend that people seek advice around any care contracts they sign.  Any agreement signed is a legally binding document, and it is crucial to understand what you are agreeing to and what services are being offered.

It is essential that time is taken to understand the terms of the agreement and on what rights you have if there is a dispute.

There has also been a growing situation arising in the care industry, whereby residents or their families, who have complained about the services they are receiving, later obtain a notice to quit the care home with only a month’s notice.

The Daily Express has reported on this worrying situation and says that so-called “revenge evictions” are being carried out by rogue providers who want to silence claims of abuse and neglect.

Karon Walton Head of Court of Protection at Hegarty Solicitors says “It is important to speak to a lawyer that has experience in this field and to seek early advice.

Receiving and entering care is a significant change in circumstances, and it is recommended that you should take time to review your will, estate planning, lasting powers of attorney but also look in detail any care contract arrangement.

It is also essential to make sure that your affairs and finances are in order.  You should review your income and look at whether you are entitled to any additional benefits such as Attendance Allowance or Council Tax Exemptions.”

To obtain help and assistance with care contracts, to understand more about the funding, benefits or care arrangements please contact Karon Walton on 01733 295557 or email on

Do you want find out more?

Make an enquiry online Contact the Peterborough office Contact the Stamford office Contact the Oakham office