Client area and payments Make an enquiry

What happens if you fail to stop or report a road accident?

Criminal Defence

A road accident can be a frightening and worrying experience for all involved. But what happens if you fail to report an accident?

When to report an accident

S170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 requires the driver of a vehicle to stop and to provide their details where an accident has occurred and either personal injury is caused to someone, damage is caused to a vehicle or property or an animal.

If the driver for any reason has not stopped and provided their details S170 requires them to report the accident at the police station or to a police constable as soon as reasonably practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

Penalties for failing to stop or report an accident

A driver who fails to stop and/or fails to report is guilty of one or both offences and can be sentenced to up to 6 months imprisonment. The offences are also enforceable with between 5-10 penalty points or disqualification.

When to seek legal advice

If you are suspected of committing one or both of these offences, the police are likely to want to speak to you and may invite you to attend a formal interview. If that happens you will be entitled to free legal advice and assistance and you should consider instructing a solicitor to attend with you.

If you are prosecuted for one or both of these offences you should consider instructing a solicitor to advise and /or represent you at court. They will be able to assess the evidence against you, consider any possible defence and represent you at trial or in presenting your mitigation.

Facing a motoring offence prosecution can be a worrying time, but our nationally recognised specialist solicitors at Hegarty Solicitors are here to ensure the best possible outcome for your case. Find out more about our driving offences advice and representation.  

 If you are facing prosecution contact us to discuss your case.

Contact us

Do you want find out more?

Make an enquiry online Contact the Peterborough office Contact the Stamford office Contact the Oakham office