In 2018 Martin joined the Trust and Probate department of Hegarty Solicitors in Peterborough. Previously he was a Partner and Head of the Private Client department in a firm of solicitors in Suffolk. Martin qualified as a solicitor in 2013 and became a fully accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly upon qualification. In 2018 Martin upgraded his membership to be a full member. Solicitors for the Elderly is a nationwide network of specialist lawyers dedicated to elderly client matters such as:
- Powers of Attorney
- Court of Protection
- Tax and Estate Planning
- Probate and Administration of Estates
- Declarations of Trust
Recent work includes:
- Working alongside the Corporate department in putting together a Farming Partnership Agreement to secure Agricultural and Business Property Reliefs whilst minimising Capital Gains Tax
- Administering large estates with assets based abroad
- Assisting and advising on disputed Wills and mediating settlements
- Advising on claims made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants Act) 1975
- Preparing Wills for parents with disabled children in order to maximise the benefits available to the children as well as minimise the tax payable by the parents.
- Obtaining complex and unusual Grants of Representation to allow for the administration of estates.
- Obtaining Court of Protection orders allowing attorneys to make gifts
- Advising on administering Trusts and acting as a Trustee
- Acting as attorney for clients without family
In 2022 Martin became a full member of the Society of Trusts and Estates Practitioners (STEP). STEP is an internationally renowned organisation of specialist professionals who practice in Tax, Estate Planning, Will writing and Trust matters.
In addition to this, Martin is a member of the Law Society’s Private Client section of lawyers. Martin read Ancient History at the University of Birmingham prior to reading Law at the College (now University) of Law in Birmingham.
Martin is assisted by Haleema Sadia.
Legal Q&A Articles by Martin Banwell
News Articles by Martin Banwell
by Martin Banwell
by Martin Banwell